Monday, July 13, 2009

Wezzo from Hohoe

My layover in London was successful! I took the tube to Piccadilly Circus (suggestion from John!) and wondered around until I realized I was standing next to Big Ben and the Ferris Wheel and Parliament. I had a full English breakfast with rashers and black pudding and tea of course!I can't wait to post the pictures. I could easily fall in love with London. I met the nicest Polish woman on the Tube who helped me get back to Heathrow. Then a met a British woman named Nicolette who was going to Ghana to meet her Lebanese boyfriend who lives here. My flight left early so we could get in before Obama . On the flight over I saw the the Mediterranean and the Sahara Desert. So cool.

Then when I got to the airport the hotel never came to pick me up so Nicolette's bf used his cell phone to call the hotel and fight with them. Once he finally came it took 3 1/2 hours to get to my hotel because we got stopped by the cops, road blocks for Obama then we took a u-turn in this beat up jigsaw puzzle of a car/taxi across a hour lane high way and grass median. I was so happy to get to my hotel which was nice. Then I was picked up in the morning by Dela and 5 hours later I found myself in Hohoe (The town in pronounced "Hoe-whay") trying to speak Ewe (pronounced "A"-way). I have met really nice people here and have had amazing food. They have this mashed yam thing called panquo (sp?). I looks like mashed potato dough but has a sour flavor. The cooks are going to teach me how to make it.

It is amazing here. Surreal.We wandered the village yesterday and because it was Sunday there was drumming and music all around. The children are so interested in getting their pictures taken and shaking your hand. They shake hands by slapping hands, pumping and then snapping off of your hand. Later today we are going to the market and having a drumming lesson.

I start my placement tomorrow at St. Francis and they want me to help out with the visual arts programs. We get to go to the Wli Waterfall on Wednesday!!!

This weekend a whole bunch of people are thinking about traveling to Cape Coast and renting a van, staying in huts on the beach, going to the castle and doing the canopy walk. In total it should be about 120 Cedis (pronounced CD) which is about $90 USD.

I'm sure there is so much I am forgetting about but I definitely want to have a party with pictures and stories when I return.

I miss you all!!

3 comments:

  1. So true, London is amazing.

    I can't wait to see pictures of Ghana! I'm glad you made it safe and sound and that everything's going well. Love and miss you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing adventure!!!!! Can't wait for photos.

    Christie and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! this is the coolest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete