Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Yesterday we hiked Mt. Afajato even though it was soo misty and cloudy that you couldn't see anything at the top. They officially have the craziest looking bugs here you have ever seen.

Today we went to placement in the morning and then we went to the monkey sanctuary about 20 min away. The first encounter with a monkey was unsuccessful. He stole my whole banana. But I ended up being able to feed a few of them. I got some great pictures and I am adding a sacred Mona Monkey to the list of things that I am going to bring home in my suitcase.

Then we had another Ewe lesson. I learned how to ask "what is you name?" and "My name is Abena".

I talked to one of my friends here in town who we affectionately call Xhibit. He is going to take Katie and I to his church on Sunday and let us carry his son Calvin on our backs. I have wanted to put every child I see up on my back and wrap cloth around me and then carry bags of rice on my head. Well at least putting Calvin on my back will come true. He's about 1 1/2 years old. Adorable. And Xzibit is making me a mixed tape/cd of all the great songs that we have been jamming out to here in Hohoe. One of which is the "Wifey Song". LOVE that song.


At the orphanage- it's tough being there. No one really knows whats going on. There is no rhyme or reason for doing things, no science behind what they teach or why. The kids just memorize the songs but don't understand that letters make up words and that you can add and subtract numbers. I have been following this one little boy named Papaa and he so severely has dyslexia and there is no hope or help for him here in Hohoe. The teacher just canes him or smacks him over his head. I was trying to explain what it was but she herself barely understands English.

More later. It's so hot here today. It's been nothing but rainy and cloudy but that only makes it more humid.

<3t

5 comments:

  1. we miss you Tara---love to follow all of your adventures. Cannot wait to see the pictures over a nice glass of wine!!!!!! Much love.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Boo!
    You make me laugh when I can
    hear you telling your stories. Do what you can for the childrn while you are there and see what you can effect when you get home. I love and miss you bad!
    Love Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!!!!! Chickie!!! sounds like things are going well!! Miss Ya!!! Don't forget your sunscreen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Wanda LOU!!!!! I wrote the above message!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bring Papaa home to me. What's one more boy in this crazy house matter? No canes or head slaps here!!!!

    ReplyDelete