Saturday, August 1, 2009

It's so hard to say good-bye

So yesterday all but Katie and I left Hohoe. Katie bawled her eyes out. It's taken me a little longer to process it I think because I have another two weeks here. We all sat around the table for lunch and had a moment. We all arrived on the same date (except for Libby and Aidan- they'd been here for 12 weeks). Our personalities went so well together- How I'll miss the nights of Jodi (my Seattle roomie) and David (the Welsh-man (or Wailian as Amanda Put it) playing Egyptian Rat Screw and me trying to decipher what David was trying to say to me. The crazy places and locals that Aidan and Libby introduced me to. Dani plotting to steal Kitty (the kitten who has found its way into our home base and hearts). Ellen and my dance parties in the office to "African Lady" and hours trying to find "The Wifey Song". A tear has been shed for them but at the same time I am glad that we were able to have those experiences together. If it wasn't a fleeting chapter in out book of life- we would never be able to appreciate them.

Katie and I have been dubbed "Queen Mothers" by the staff and Libby - the former queen mother. It is a title reserved for the one who has been there the longest.

I am glad to have Katie and the Staff still here. I think that THAT will be the hardest thing- Leaving Christine and George- The house mom and dad. Joe, Alpha, John and Dela, Xzibit, Atsu, and Jahweel. Those faces who welcome me every morning and night and who have welcomed me into their culture and daily lives- not as an outsider but as a friend.

It is sad to think that my time here is soon coming to an end. The past three weeks have flown by. I have a mere two weeks left. It feels like I have been become settled into the culture and environment and now the real work is going to start- but the reality is that I have one week left and then one week to mentally prepare myself to leave. I want to come back. I have found out through the Irish blokes living at the Hotel Geduld next door to our home base that it cost 10 Cedi a night to stay there and there is much cheaper airfare. So many people come here and stay for much longer than they ever expected. If I had more money- I fear I would do the same.

The relaxed lifestyle- everyone is so friendly- everyone wants to be your friend. I have been proposed to twice! Both times said no. It will be just as hard of an adjustment coming back to the states as it was coming here.

I'm going to church tomorrow. I'll post more about that early next week.

<3

4 comments:

  1. oh lord don't get married on me just yet girl!!!!!!! we miss you---can't wait to hear the stories in person. Hayley is reading along too. we love you princess tara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey tara! its hayley. i just read all of the stories from ur blog. it sounds like grasscutter wasn't the most appetizing thing on the menu. bring home the recipe for bowfruit--- i'd luv 2 try it. wish i'd climbed that mountain with u--- was probably really exhilirating. can't wait 2 see ur souveneirs!!!!!!!!also would wanna watch u dancin in the office--- i would so rotfl!!! luv ya* bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I just wanted you to know that I have been following your posts very closely the whole time (even though I have not sent you a note). I am so glad you are there and having such a wonderful experience. It will be hard to come back but I can't wait to see you. I leave for a week in SEattle the same day you return :( We'll have to make a plan when we are both back. Savor the last week.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Neighbor, enjoying your adventurous stories and hard to believe your journey will end soon but at least the memories will last a lifetime. If you were arriving home today it would be as hot as Africa... 96 and 80% humidity. At least we have had lots of rain so our gardens continue to grow...saw Jamie out in yours the other day tending to it. Stay safe, healthy and happy. Don

    ReplyDelete